Sunday, January 31, 2010

Black History Month 2010

This being my 25th Black History Month I am very happy to celebrate all the GREATS before me and that will come after me. Now at times 'we' can be unhappy with our place in America, because we still don't unite the way we should or have the same opportunities as more privileged groups or because racism is still very much alive...I see it everyday and I believe it is even stronger in some areas i.e. where I currently work/live...but it makes me want to stay in those areas and let America know, that I am Black n Proud and I'm not going anywhere!

Now although Black History Month is the shortest month of the year there are many things that have happened in this month of February over the years...here some facts that you may or may not know:

2010- Another Black- Miss America (since 1994)
2010- Blacktv247.com launched
2009- 1st Black President
(these were achievements just before Feb)

1997- 24hr Black Movie channel
1990- Nelson Mandela released
1986- 1st African-American woman to host a nationally syndicated talk show
1984- MJ took home 8 Grammy's and broke all sale records
1978- 1st Black Heritage stamp
1976- Negro History Week became Black History Month (it said that Feb. was chosen because of the birthdays of Fredrick Douglas & Abraham Lincoln
1968- 1st African-American to lead a symphony orchestra in U.S- Henry Lewis
1965- Malcolm X assassinated 11 mo. after he split from N of I
1964- Civil Rights Act was passed
1948- MLK ordained as Baptist Minister
1942- Tuskegee Airmen Initiated
1932- Richard Spikes invented the automatic gear shift
1909- NAACP founded


These GREATS were also born: Fredrick Douglas/Langston Hughes/Rosa Parks/Sidney Poitier/Nina Simone/Toni Morrison/Nancy Wilson/Roberta Flack/Smokey Robinson/John Lewis founder of SNCC/Alice Walker/Gregory Hines/Jackie Robinson/Rick James/Natalie Cole/Arsenio Hall/Charles Barkley/Chris Rock


Black is beautiful...

"Beauty is more than a look, it's a lifestyle...so live beautiful" - J.Styles

No comments:

Post a Comment